Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thank a utility or service worker | Day 4 of 30thanks


The 30 Thanks Gratitude Adventure



Utility and service workers do so much for us and yet many of them remain unknown and nameless to us. We see them sometimes, in the thick of their work doing things to keep us comfortable and happy in our modern life and yet they are sometimes no more to us than "the guy" or "the woman" who does something.

Today I would like to thank one of those nameless workers, I don't mean "nameless" as a figure of speech either.. I do actually mean nameless.. sadly I never got his name.

He was the maintenance man at Colonial Crest apartments where my girlfriend and I recently lived in Bloomington.

Our experience living at that apartment was pretty sub par. Management was always changing and were generally uncooperative, the internet sucked, the building was old, the dish washer didn't work... basically everything you would expect from a relatively low-rent apartment complex.

However one major bright spot of our experience there was our maintenance man. Through our time at the apartment we ran into quite the far share of utility failures and appliance issues and the maintenance man was always very prompt in coming to our place to fix whatever we had wrong.

But really it wasn't that he was just prompt, he always had a smile on his face and he was just one of those people that radiated with positive attitude. I always felt like he liked coming to our place, and he always gave me a wave and smile when I saw him around the complex.

During a time when it seemed like a lot of our complaints were ignored he finished every job to the best of his abilities and often times got pretty dirty doing it. I felt very lucky to have a guy like him around us.

I feel bad because he always called me by name but I never did get his name...

Unfortunately I think many others know exactly what I'm talking about..to many of us these workers are nameless, even if we greatly respect the work they do.

Remember to get the name of your maintenance man next time, I'm sad I didn't, but I'm really thankful we had him and he is one thing I will always miss about those apartments.

No comments: