Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gratitude Mission, Day 3: Thank someone who makes you laugh

The 30 Thanks Gratitude Adventure

I thought I would get on this gratitude party my cousin is doing over on her blog marissabracke.com

There are a lot of people that make me laugh, both people that I know and people that I don't know. Interestingly the guy I want to thank for making me laugh today I don't actually know, but after listening to him several times I'm pretty sure I know more about him than most comedians!

That guy is Mike Birbiglia. I first heard this comedian on one my favorite podcasts (This American Life). Every time he does a segment on This American Life I laugh my ass off. I was immediately drawn to his style because it was very conversational and simple, and he was an excellent story teller.

A couple weeks ago I was overjoyed when I noticed updating my podcasts that he was featured on NPR's Fresh Air. (interview link)

In the interview he talks a lot about his life, and his style of comedy and he really hits on this idea that comedy is supposed to be about talking about stuff that makes us uncomfortable, and that is exactly what he does. Whether its talking about his first makeout session, getting bullied, his parasomnia disorder, or even his bout with cancer, he puts a lot of his personal life on the line, and casts it in a comedic light.

I could go on for quite some time about why I like Mike Birbiglia. To keep it short; When I'm commuting and he comes on my Ipod, I don't want the drive to end.

Thank you for making me laugh Mike Birbiglia.



No comments: