Monday, November 8, 2010

Thank someone who inspires you | Day 8 of 30thanks

The 30 Thanks Gratitude Adventure

Today I would like to thank several people for inspiring me and whom watching brings me great entertainment. I will call them collectively; the young guns of the National Hockey League.

For those who don't know me very well, I'm a pretty hardcore hockey fan, I watch hockey basically every night of the week as well as playing it myself.

In a previous post I mentioned that my love of hockey has been a bit of a rebirth for me, and part of that is the transformation of the game in recent years to an emphasis on speed a skill.

The newer generations of players have been a big part of that transformation. These 18-23 year old players are part of the reason I tune in every night, because to me they can be absolutely awe inspiring and just plain fun to watch.


So for the fun of it, here are my top ten inspiring "young guns"


1. Jonathan Toews. I'm a Blackhawks fan so this is no brainer. Jonathan Toews is the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks and he brings a seriousness and work ethic to the game every night that is unparalleled. He drives his teammates to be better, and hes a fantastic playmaker.



2. Patrick Kane. You can't mention Toews without his partner in crime Patrick Kane. He is the 2nd piece of the Chicago rebuild and although he gets himself in trouble every year for off ice shenanigans he is one of the best puck handlers in the league. Nicknamed Doctor Kane by his teammates because of his surgical precision with the puck.



3. Steven Stamkos. Speaking of rebuilding a franchise, Steven Stamkos is a big part of that for the Tampa Bay Lightning. He is one of the most productive goal scorers in the league and hes only 20 years old. A threat to score every time hes on the ice.



4. P.K. Subban. Gotta show some love for a fantastic defensemen. Subban was called up from the AHL last season during the playoffs(talk about pressure!) and was a critical piece of the Canadians Cinderella run. I love his work ethic and attitude. definitely an inspiring player.



5.Evander Kane. Atlanta Thrashers winger Evander Kane is not only a fun scorer to watch, but he also knows how to throw down. Perhaps his greatest highlight last year was knocking Pittsburgh's tough guy Matt Cooke flat on his arse.



6. Evgeni Malkin. Malkin is one of those players that can absolutely dazzle. I've never been a big fan of the Penguins but its hard not to respect the talent of Malkin. When Malkin is hot he knows how to find a lot of twine.



7. Sidney Crosby. If I mention Malkin, I have to mention his teammate Crosby. Crosby is one of the faces of the NHL, hes one of the most well known players, and really was on the forefront of the youth movement. Hes scores, he fights, he passes, he rallies his team. A fantastic player and captain.



The next and final 3 guys are all rookies this year, and very likely going to be future stars.

8. Jordan Eberle. I watched Eberle's first NHL appearance live, and he was hard not to appreciate the talent, and by that I actually mean swoon like a schoolgirl. Eberle is going to be electrifying. Along with first round pick this year Taylor Hall, Edmonton is on their way to building a great team.



9. Taylor Hall. Edmonton had to choose between Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall for the first round pick this year and they went with Taylor Hall. I think they made the right choice. Hall has that poise and determination that will make him a great player. He has two goals this season and they aren't exactly highlight reel material but here is the first NHL goal for this future star.



10. Tyler Seguin. Just because Edmonton got the so called better pick, Boston got another young superstar with with second pick in Tyler Seguin. Seguin is a really fun guy to listen to in interviews because hes really at ease, and his play style is also fun to watch. Definitely looking forward to Tyler as much as Taylor.

No comments: