Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fall is finally here










Today Autumn finally covered the landscape of Ossian. Lately the temperatures have been in the 90's, hardly imaginable for October. Yet today the temperatures settled around 50 degrees.

I decided to walk down to the Brew-Ha, our local coffee shop to get something warm to drink. It felt nice outside. The sky was overcast, and wind was gently rustling the yellow and crimson leaves that dotted many of the trees. The air felt cool, and slightly rigid on my face. A big change from the stuffy humid air of Summer. It was also very calm and serene. Other than the wind and the cars driving up and down main street there seemed to be little activity.

I like fall. I can't say it is my favorite season but I like many things about it. Fall represents such a change. Summer is brilliant at first but by August it has usually changed to sweltering heat, and stagnation. Fall represents something more along the lines of inner solitude. This however, is not a solitude of sadness but more one of inner peace and understanding. We make changes in ourselves, just like the weather. We trade our T-shirts for Sweatshirts, and our lawn mowers for rakes. With it all we also gain a renewed sense of our purposes and our desires. The lazy days of summer and the "ill do it tomorrow" attitude is traded for a clearer focus on what is to be done inside and outside of ourselves.

Perhaps I look at this with a more profound sense than I should. I'm sure not everyone would agree that a change in seasons means a change of person. Although for me, all it takes is a walk down the street to realize that my attitude is different than it was a month ago.. I can feel it.

Happy new season,


-Sam

No comments: